Paes at the Indian Port

 I started my travels to the distant lands of India and set sail to arrive at the port of Goa in 1520. After spending many hard months at sea on my adventure across the enormous and dangerous Atlantic Ocean, I finally made it to the port city of Goa on India's southwest coast. This foreign country's sights and sounds were unlike anything I had ever experienced. The amount of colours the eye could see and the aromas of the spices tingling my nose along with the crowded streets overpowered my senses. I travelled to many different places in south India and was astonished by the incredible variety of cultures and traditions that I encountered in each area. India was a land of diversity and complexity which I witnessed in the vibrant festivals celebrated, the magnificent temples and the usual busy streets in general. Throughout my travels, I had the opportunity to meet many fascinating people from all walks of life. I encountered powerful rulers and wealthy merchants as well as humble farmers and hardworking artisans.


The Beginnings of Maritime Travel. (2022, September 25). Brewminate: A Bold Blend of News and Ideas. https://brewminate.com/the-beginnings-of-maritime-travel/

I travelled to the city of Vijayanagara which was one of the largest and most prosperous cities in the world. It was under the reign of the great king Krishnadevaraya and I was awestruck by the grandeur and magnificence of the city. The wealth of Vijayanagara was apparent in the opulent palaces and thriving markets. The city was a marvel of engineering and architecture with grand temples and complex water systems. I noticed exquisite carvings and sculptures everywhere I turned that revealed a culture that held a high regard for beauty and the arts. As well as being friendly and willing to share their culture and way of life with me, the people themselves. I was greeted with open arms by the king and his court and I spent many months living among them and learning their ways and customs. I got the chance to see one of Vijayanagara's most important conflicts, the battle of Raichur, while I was living in the capital. The almost one million-man mighty army of Krishna Devaraya engaged in a valiant battle with Adil Shah of Bijapur. (Hampi History, Hampi Vijayanagara Chroniclers, Domingo Paes, n.d.)

I spent many months living among the people in Vijayanagar and learning their customs and traditions. The splendour and strength of the kingdom's religious convictions were on display at the big festivals and rituals I attended. I was also welcomed into the residences of the nobles, where I enjoyed their exotic cuisine and drank from gold cups.

 I cannot describe the size of the city in writing as it is impossible for all of its vastness to be seen from a single spot. Yet I was able to climb a tree at a spot that gave me the ability to see a greater part of the city, even from there I couldn't see all of it since it lies between several ranges of hills. The scene from there reminded me of Rome, it was extremely pleasing to the eyes, there were groves and groves of trees within the city. The houses which have gardens have many streams of water that flow into it and there are also lakes in multiple places. A palm-grove and many other rich-bearing fruit-trees are situated very close to the King’s palace. 

This city is unlike any other I have visited. This is also a place of abundance of resources in food grains. It has grains such as rice, Indian-corn and a certain amount of barley and beans, moong and pulses, horse-gram and multiple other seeds that grow in this country as it is the food of the people. They have elaborate storage systems that are also cheap in nature. The only grain that isn't so common is wheat as no one but the Moors eat it. These are crops that I haven't observed in our land. The grains are also huge in quantity because they do not just act as a supply of food for the men but also for the horses as there is no alternative to barley. The water system here is magnificent. It is a great country and has few streams therefore lakes have been made that collect rainwater thereby sustaining themselves. 

The British Library. (2008, September 12). Ruins of Vijianuggur [Vijayanagara] near Humpee [Hampi]. Old temple in ruins [Krishna Temple]. https://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/onlineex/apac/photocoll/r/019pho0000212s7u00011000.html

Visiting the marketplace is an extravagant experience. There are wide and alluring streets filled with rows of fine houses, houses whose owners are rich merchants, the only kind who can afford such homes. The streets house many merchants who sell all sorts of precious gems and stones like rubies and diamonds, emeralds and pearls even. Cloth and seed-pearls and anything that you wish to have in this world was present in those streets. Every evening there is a fair in the street where all garden items are for sale. They sell limes and oranges, grapes and citrons, even common horses and nags. 

The kingdom also contains numerous locations along the coast of India. Some of these locations include seaports with which we enjoy good relations and contain factories, such as Amcola, Mirgeo, Honor, Batecalla, Mamgalor, Bracalor, and Bacanor.

Visiting the great empire of Vijayanagar and being able to witness their grand festivals like the Mahanavmi Dibba, the majestic temples- Virupaksha temple, the elephant stables and watching one of the greatest Kings - Krishna Devaraya was an eye opening experience. It not only broadened my knowledge of the world but provided me with newer perspectives as well. As a traveller I think the same sense of curiosity and exploration that motivated me to go out on my adventure shall always exist. The human need for knowledge and adventure will keep us moving forward so long as there are new places to discover and new people to meet.


Citations: 

Hampi History, Hampi Vijayanagara Chroniclers, Domingo Paes. (n.d.). Hampi History, Hampi Vijayanagara Chroniclers, Domingo Paes.   http://www.hampionline.com/history/domingo.php


Popular Posts